Apeejay School, Model Town follows a thematic curriculum from Classes I-III which is at par with the global standards.
- Pedagogy of thematic learning is based on its exploration of broad areas in one theme, a way of teaching and learning, whereby many areas of the curriculum are connected and integrated within a theme.
- The curriculum is organised around a central theme. The various subject integrated are:
Apeejay has a legacy and our thematic-based curriculum is the strongest in the world. Theme teaching is generally carried out according to a detailed predesigned lesson plan.
In the rapidly changing world, to strike a balance between the cocooned world of ‘home’ and ‘school’ and the competitive world outside, imbibing values and virtues in young children becomes paramount. To meet these growing demands and to strengthen the value system, the school has included “EDUCATION IN HUMAN VALUES” in the school curriculum. Besides Human and Social values, national and global values are also inculcated amongst the students through ‘Words of Wisdom’ spoken by the Principal and teachers in the assembly. The same is done by enacting moral stories, one-act plays, and projects highlighting the importance of moral and ethical values undertaken in the class.
- The Thematic Curriculum is designed to cater to the individual interests and potential of children and to enhance the social, creative, and cognitive skills, and address their emotional quotient through theme-based activities so that the children are happy and engaged at school and learn by doing.
- Besides developing all the four skills – Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing, specialised methodologies are used to train the children to be able to analyse, interpret and evaluate.
- Project Works, creative activities, and varied other activities relevant to the theme are planned to provide social understanding, the spirit of enquiry, and scientific acumen.
- To nurture multiple intelligences such as kinaesthetic, musical, visual, inter-personal, and intra-personal, we provide ample opportunities for self-expression in the form of music, dance, and fine arts.
- All the festivals are celebrated with great zeal to give an insight into our varied culture and to develop a sense of respect for our nation.
To suit the changing needs of the present generation, the latest and innovative techniques of teaching are employed. The teacher acts as a ‘knowledge facilitator’ and not as ‘knowledge provider’. Therefore, the teaching methodology is “learner-centred” nurturing the promotion of Academic Excellence and Multiple-Intelligences.
- In synergic collaboration aiming for excellence, we at Apeejay firmly believe in the extension of learning ground from the home to the school.
- In the continuous quest for knowledge, the early stumbling footsteps of a toddler are firmly implanted and extended in refined sophistication. The best of Montessori, Kindergarten, Play Way method, and other such activities as required by social and cultural needs of the society have been adopted and adapted for them.
Evaluation and Assessment System
- A system of continuous comprehensive evaluation is followed.
- Students are graded regularly and evaluation is based on a child's participation and performance in the class activities, homework, project work, group work, worksheets, class assessment, class response, reading and communicative skills, individual and group behaviour.
- Assessment of competencies in languages, Sciences, and Mathematics is undertaken regularly.
There are two term-end examinations and two monthly tests or unit tests before each term-end examination. Monthly tests are also scheduled in the School calendar and are organised during the zero periods of one-hour duration. The assessed work is given weightage in the terminals. All the records are maintained in the teacher's diary and digitally on the Moodle platform.